Joshua A. Jordan, CPA – Consulting Services for Startups and Small Businesses
Have you ever:
- Mixed up (co-mingled) your business and personal spending to the point where you had to spend countless hours reviewing your bank statements line-by-line just to figure out how much your business was spending (or been so overwhelmed by the mere thought of the whole ordeal that you gave up even trying)?
- Had a potential investor (or shark) say, “I’m out.” Because you didn’t know your numbers (Sales, margins, burn-rate, breakeven, etc.)?
- Written a check for your business and crossed your fingers that there was enough cash in the bank to pay it?
- Gone for months without reconciling your business bank accounts?
- Received a notice from your bank saying that you’d maxed out your line of credit, and you didn’t even realize that you had tapped it in the first place?
- Had your line of credit cancelled, or been unable to secure one in the first place, because you couldn’t provide the bank with the required financial statements?
- Been overwhelmed calculating and cutting payroll checks, and making sure that all the various payroll taxes were paid accurately and on time?
- Wanted to start a company 401k plan, but been too confused or intimidated by the cost?
- Spent a bunch of time researching small business accounting software and still felt unsure of which program to use for your startup or small business?
- Not had enough time to learn how to use the “quick and easy” accounting program you purchased for your company?
- Spent too much time trying to do your own accounting and not had enough time or energy left over to actually grow your business?
- Had a panic attack when you realized that taxes were due and you didn’t have any of the business financial information organized or ready?
- Been surprised to find out how much you owed in taxes – and that you didn’t have enough cash to pay them?
- Been forced to pay penalties and interest because you didn’t make estimated tax payments throughout the year for your business?
- Needed to know how much your business could afford to pay the owners through salaries, capital draws or dividends, and still have enough working capital to continue operating?
- Tried to do everything in your small business, even the accounting, and felt like you weren’t making progress at anything?
If so, you’re not alone. Running a startup or small business is HARD. Sometimes it can feel like you’re trying to juggle seven bowling pins, two flaming machetes, an anvil and a rabid pit bull all at once. Blindfolded. Standing on a tightrope stretched over a tank filled with sharks with freakin’ laser beams on their heads.
You’re not the only one who’s laid awake in bed at night, mind racing, trying to figure out what to do. You’re not the first person to get stressed out and a little (or a lot) grouchy with your family when things aren’t going the way you think they should. You definitely aren’t the only one who felt like you could never stop working, I mean completely unplug, and spend guilt-free time with your family or doing something fun that you love doing.
If your biggest accounting and finance problems were taken care of for you, how would your business, and your life, be different?
- Have more time and energy to go out and attract more (or better) customers?
- Work on making your product or service even more amazing?
- Be able to spend money without guilt – knowing that you can afford to?
- Spend more time with your family or friends – knowing that you’re on track to reach your goals?
- Enjoy your hobbies again – golf, cycling, hiking, kayaking, reading, cards, etc.?
Have you tried to solve your business’s accounting problems by:
- Buying the newest (or most popular) DIY accounting software – only to be frustrated to realize that accounting can be much more complicated and time-consuming than the marketing brochures and websites made it out to be? Oh, and someone still had to find time to actually sit down and do the accounting.
- Hiring a bookkeeper and then discovered that they still needed to be supervised by an accountant, and they still made mistakes that were expensive to fix at tax time?
- Hiring an accountant, controller, or CFO but not been able to afford a full time employee (plus benefits), or been able to find someone with the right experience and expertise that was willing to work part-time?
Not getting the results you want?
If you’re tired of spinning your wheels and not getting the results you want, or you just want to skip the trial and error and jump ahead to the part where your startup or small business’s accounting problems get solved, maybe I can help.
- I’ve helped an internal audit team discover money that was literally just lying around in their file room. Money that they didn’t even know that they had.
- I saved a company thousands of dollars negotiating the purchase of leased copier equipment that the company had mistakenly disposed of.
- I saved a small business over 6k a year by switching 401k plans when their bank decided to “adjust” their small business retirement plan pricing. Oh, and by the way, employees loved the new plan. Participation rates skyrocketed and total plan assets increased by almost 4x in just a few short years.
- I helped a small business save almost 25k per year by helping them select and transition to a more affordable health insurance plan. Not only did the company save money, premiums and copays went down for the employees too.
- At one company, I worked to turn the accounting department from their biggest liability into a reliable foundation that they could build on – even though much of the accounting work over the prior year had either been neglected completely, or was filled with errors.
- I discovered and implemented a simple change to a company’s billing process that saved their client facing employees over 50 hours of time each year.
- I showed a busy CEO how much money the company could afford to pay him by projecting results, measuring liquidity targets and showing how much the company needed to set aside for taxes and year-end bonuses.
I have a passion for helping small businesses be successful. I know that your business is unique. The biggest problems that your business is facing might be completely different than what the “average” startup or small business is trying to deal with. There may be other problems you haven’t discovered yet, lurking just below the surface, waiting to drag you down.
I’m licensed as a CPA in both California and Oregon. I have years of accounting and business experience in a variety of industries. I’m a member of the AICPA, CalCPA, and the Bend Chamber of Commerce.
If you’re considering working with me regarding your accounting, it all starts with a Discovery Contract.
Just what is a Discovery Contract anyway?
A Discovery Contract is designed to discover (see what I did there?) whether I can provide a valuable solution to the problems you’re facing. It’s kind of like an audition, or a test drive of what it would be like to work together on a more extensive basis.
The Discovery Contract includes:
- A 30 minute consultation with me, either in person or by phone (depending on availability). I use this time to gain a deep understanding of your current situation and goals. I may uncover additional problems that weren’t even on your radar.
- I’ll use the consultation, in combination with additional research and my years of experience to develop your business’s custom Action Plan.
- This Action Plan will include my recommendations of the next steps that need to happen to get the results you want, estimated timelines and the fee structure that would apply to putting the recommendations into action.
Discovery Contract Pricing:
If you are a Sole Proprietor – $195 ($99 down – balance at completion of Discovery Contract)
If your business is a Partnership, LLC, or Corporation – $495 ($249 down – balance due at completion of Discovery Contract)
And because a plan doesn’t do much good if you don’t take action, The Entire Price of the Discovery Contract is Applied Toward Implementing the Items on Your Action Plan!
I’ve helped companies make changes that continue to put thousands of dollars into the owners’ pockets, year in and year out. I think it’s highly likely that the value you receive from the Discovery Contract process and your custom Action Plan will greatly exceed the price you pay. That’s why I offer a 15 day money-back satisfaction guarantee. If you don’t think I delivered enough value through the process, I will happily refund the amount you paid for the Discovery Contract. All the risk is on me to perform. You don’t have to risk a dime. If I can help, you win. If I can’t help, at least you won’t lose.
If you’re ready to take control and whip your accounting challenges into shape, Email Me with the subject “Discovery” and I’ll send you a Discovery Contract Application and Credit Card Authorization Form. If your application is accepted, your card will be charged the initial deposit amount at the time your consultation is scheduled.
Note – While I am currently accepting new clients, this isn’t always the case. I can only give my undivided attention to a limited number of clients. If I don’t have the bandwidth to accept new clients when you submit your application, you may be put on a waitlist. If this happens, you will be notified and your credit card will not be charged.